The New Shop Truck has Arrived a.k.a. Brutus
After selling the previous block camo shop truck, it has left a void for a daily driven year round Typhoon for the shop. Having a turnkey Typhoon for daily duties has come in handy more times than we could imagine the more we got to thinking about it. So we decided that building another shop truck was part of the schedule to fill this void.
The next logical step in the process was to choose a solid platform to begin the build. We decided on a Black/Black 92 Typhoon, nicknamed Brutus, which has been hidden away with no motor for the last 15+ years. The truck was from the south, making it the perfect base to build upon. The original plan was to put together a completely stock truck, break it in for a few months, and then start to build upon what we had after the initial shakedown was complete.
Teardown of the truck began with the logical steps. First the gas tank was removed and drained off the not so much gas substance that has been sitting in it for so long. The fuel lines had not been plugged previously before storage, allowing the mud bees to build a perfect plug for the feed line to the fuel rail. Once we removed all of the dirt and grime from the feed line, as well as checking the return line and all other fuel lines to the tank, a new fuel filter was threaded on and we moved on to the sending unit and pump. The sending unit was still in perfect shape, knowing the fuel pump is most likely no good after all this time, it was replaced with a new Walbro 255 and a Racetronix hotwire fuel pump harness to make sure the engine will get the fuel that it needs.
Next came removing the stock suspension components, including the rear self-leveling which no longer worked. The struts on the truck were so old and worn out rendering them useless. For now all the struts were replaced with good Bilsteins, providing a good starting point and allowing the shakedown of the truck to be much easier. We have big plans related to the suspension of this truck, but for the initial couple of months it makes sense to have a stock suspension. Going along with the suspension, the brake pads were non-existent so they were replaced with new pads and the rotors were still in good shape so they were left alone. The ABS unit and lines were all removed and replaced with one of our ABS Delete kits, an easy plug and play kit improving brake feel tremendously.
Make sure to check in often on the updates on the new shop truck!